|CHAIRPERSON: Heidi Copeland
ASSISTANT CHAIRPERSON: Samantha Kennedy
ENTRY FEE: None
ARRIVAL TIME: Saturday, November 2, 2019 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Sunday, November 3, 2019 12:00 noon – 5:00 p.m.Building #2
RELEASE TIME: Monday, November 18, 2019 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
RULES & REGULATION
ALL HOME AGRICULTURE EXHIBITORS MUST ABIDE BY THE GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS.
Individuals like to enter their preserved foods in contests because of pride in their creative activity and because it’s fun! However, SAFETY must be a consideration in recognizing quality home food preservation activities and products.
Safety of home preserved food is the primary consideration when awarding honors to home food preservation entries.
The Home Agriculture Department also allow for the great variety of FRESH, edible, home-grown products to be entered. Examples of these products include, but are not limited to, eggs, citrus fruits, fruit, nuts, vegetables, fungi, and herbs as well as wine or other cordials. Please display these entries in an attractive manner.
*Judges will not taste the home preserved product only examine it for quality characteristics.
Judging for home preserved foods will be done by visual inspection recognizing basic standards of quality and safety and other desirable general characteristics for product classes.
Judging for home-grown foods will be done by visual inspection recognizing basic standards of quality and safety and other desirable general characteristics.
- All entries must have been preserved within the last year (12 months).
- Jar must have a vacuum seal. Unsealed exhibits or products showing signs of spoilage will not be judged or displayed.
- Each jar of canned food MUST be labeled with the following (the label must be on the jar):
- NAME of FOOD
- DATE FOOD PRESERVED
- Processing time
- Processing method (All entries must have been preserved according to the current USDA/Extension Service information. http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html This consideration adheres to standards of safety and quality
- Canned products must be processed in CLEAN, CLEAR, STANDARD (half-pint, pint or quart) jars in good condition with new, two-piece canning lids (flat lid and band). (Note: There are now 12-ounce canning jars available. If there is not a USDA recommended process time available for the 12-ounce jar, these may be used with a pint jar canning process recommendation. The process time for pints cannot be reduced for the smaller jar size; however, if there is only a USDA process for a half-pint jar size, then a 12-ounce jar would be disqualified for lack of a recommended USDA process time.)
- Jar sizes for which there are no USDA canning recommendations will not be judged.
- Jams, jellies, marmalade’s, and preserves sealed with paraffin will not be judged; these products must be heat sealed (water-bath canned).
- Fancy padded lids, fabric over-wraps, cozies etc. are not allowed.
- All fresh home-grown edible products must be displayed in an attractive manner.
Home Food Preservation entries are judged using the American System. At the judge’s discretion, exhibits in this system are compared against a standard of perfection, as well as against the other entries in the competition. All exhibits in a particular class are looked at and ranked for selections of first place (Blue Ribbon), second place (Red Ribbon) and third place (White Ribbon).
Home Food Preservation judging is:
- Conducted prior to the opening of the fair.
- Done in a private area where only the officials are allowed until the judging is completed.
SCORE CARD – Click here
|DIVISION A – ADULT
DIVISION B – YOUTH
CLASS 1: JAMS, JELLIES, PRESERVES, BUTTERS, MARMALADE’S
CLASS 2: FRUIT AND FRUIT PRODUCTS (Not Jams or Jellies)
CLASS 3: TOMATOES AND TOMATO PRODUCTS
CLASS 4: SALSA
CLASS 5: VEGETABLES AND VEGETABLE PRODUCTS
CLASS 6: GAME, Poultry, Red Meat and Seafood
CLASS 7: PICKLED/FERMENTED PRODUCTS – Cucumber Pickles
CLASS 8: PICKLED/FERMENTED PRODUCTS – Vegetable Pickles
CLASS 9: PICKLED/FERMENTED PRODUCTS – Fruit Pickles
CLASS 10: PICKLED/FERMENTED PRODUCTS – Relishes/chow-chow
CLASS 11: PICKLED/FERMENTED PRODUCTS – Chutney
CLASS 12: DRIED FRUIT
CLASS 13: VINEGAR’S
CLASS 14: SPECIALTY FOODS – SAUCES (Example: Catsup)
CLASS 15: HOME AGRICULTURE – FRESH EGGS, White
CLASS 16: HOME AGRICULTURE – FRESH EGGS, Brown
CLASS 17: HOME AGRICULTURE – FRESH EGGS, Colored
CLASS 18: HOME AGRICULTURE – FRESH VEGETABLE (above ground)
CLASS 19: HOME AGRICULTURE – FRESH VEGETABLE (under the ground)
CLASS 20: HOME AGRICULTURE – FRESH FRUIT
CLASS 21: HOME AGRICULTURE – NUTS
CLASS 22: HOME AGRICULTURE – HERBS
CLASS 23: HOME AGRICULTURE – Any other item not listed
NOTE: You must be 21 years of age or older to enter in classes 24 thru 28
CLASS 24: LIQUEURS OR CORDIALS
CLASS 25: WINE – Red
CLASS 26: WINE – White
CLASS 27: WINE – Rosé
CLASS 28: BEER/ALE